Be As You Are

Monday, August 28, 2006

Beautifully Stated....

Rich's mom sent me a forward that really got me thinking... it was a chain and I don't want to forward it to a thousand people so that my wish will come true, but I wanted the people I love to get to see it.... at their leisure, while reading my blog....

The forward went like this....

As we grow up, we learn that even the one person that wasn't supposed to ever let you down probably will. You will have your heart broken probably more than once and it's harder every time. You'll break hearts too, so remember how it felt when yours was broken. You'll fight with your best friend. You'll blame a new love for things an old one did. You'll cry because time is passing too fast, and you'll eventually lose someone you love. So take too many pictures, laugh too much, and love like you've never been hurt because every sixty seconds you spend upset is a minute of happiness you'll never get back. Don't be afraid that your life will end, be afraid that it will never begin. ~anonymous~

I just thought it was beautifully stated... and it's meaningful after a conversation I had today. I was talking to Carl, one of my regulars at the bar, about a bunch of things, but most notably about how his wife Mary just passed away last week at 59. She had been in the hospital (and in my prayers) for the last 10 weeks - being treated for colitis (spelling). She was sent to a rehab last week in the hopes of coming home, where she went into respitory failure and died before Carl got to meet her at the hospital. He said for over 30 years she has been his saving grace, his caregiver, the mother of his children and more... she was his best friend. I couldn't make the services last week since I had to work, but I feel that even more than going to the wake, talking to him today brought him a little peace that he was seeking. He is a retired Boston Fire Fighter, who went out early on disability after a spinal cord injury on the job so he has a lot of time on his hands, and now he has a huge void in his life. Unsure of what to do in life, he is stuck thinking about all the times they had. The thing that stuck with me is that he said he knows, without a shadow of a doubt that even though he wasn't there with her when she passed, that she knew exactly how he felt about her. He said he never went a day without an "I Love You", never went a minute taking her for granted.

Our conversation reminded me of all the times I have gone to bed pissed at Rich, or the times that I don't realize what a great boyfriend he really is. And then I got this forward from his mom, and it made me think even more - I do blame him sometimes for something an old boyfriend did... and I have been let down by him, and done the same to him. But he really has brought something wonderful to my life, and for that I am grateful.

So I guess the moral of this story is never forget to show how you feel. To anyone - a friend, a spouse, a family member. Don't be afraid to say "I Love You" too often, and don't put off until tomorrow what you can say or do today - because as Carl can tell you another tomorrow isn't a promise, it's a privilege.

Rest In Peace Mary Johnson.
And thank you, Carl - for in your pain, you share your wisdom.

3 Comments:

  • At 9:37 PM, Blogger LizFwiz said…

    Riding the school bus is a privledge too.

     
  • At 9:06 AM, Blogger Maggie said…

    Truthfully, I don't quite understand how that is on the same line as what I was going for... am I missing something?

     
  • At 4:52 PM, Blogger LizFwiz said…

    nope i was just being a dork. i love you maggie

     

Post a Comment

<< Home