Be As You Are

Sunday, March 05, 2006

A Letter to the Class of 1999

This weekend, this week for that matter; was the worst one I have ever had in my life. And that is the sentiment I heard over and over - no matter how close each of us was or wasn't with Imette St. Guillen - this weekend, this week; reminded each of us that life is too short, too precious, and all too fragile.

But to the Boston Latin Class of 1999 I say this:

It was good to be comforted by so many of you - whether it was at the Wake, or taking a shot in Imette's memory at Doyle's, crying together in the bathroom when we didn't think anyone would see or holding hands while her mother and sister spoke at the Memorial.

Please remember that life is not measured by material things. No one will remember you for the car you drive, or the degree you received. People will remember you for being genuine, caring, and warm. I felt that from so many of you this weekend. So many faces, stained with tears; mirrored my own. But we stayed strong for each other as long as we could, and when we couldn't bear it any more we held each other closely.

So many of us felt bad about not keeping in touch. It's so sad and unfortunate that only in death we come together. I only hope that we can stay together. It's amazing how close a class we were, and still are. I am here for each and every one of you in any way that I can be in this time of heartache.

Imette will never be too far - she'll be in our hearts and thoughts forever.

Keep in touch, I mean it.....

Imette St. Guillen touched us all - whatever the degree - and no one can take that away.

2 Comments:

  • At 3:54 PM, Blogger JoviFan said…

    Maggie, I was thinking of you this morning when I saw news coverage of Imette's funeral/wake services. How horrible. You just never know what is going to happen to people. I agree that we must stop trying to work toward being remembered for our material acquisitions, but rather for having good hearts personal warmth. Stay strong, kid. I'm sorry its been such a tough week on you.

     
  • At 12:51 PM, Blogger Mo said…

    Hey-I know I'm not a member of the class of '99...but I do want you to know that I sympathize for your loss. I hope Imette's memory will live on, and not fall to the wayside once this mystery is solved. One of the ways to do that is to keep in touch with your friends from HS...so I'm glad you are on that road:) Take care of you, I'm here if you need me:)

     

Post a Comment

<< Home