Be As You Are

Wednesday, December 07, 2005

Go Away Christmas!

It's funny, when you are a kid you can't wait for Christmas. Now that I am a semi-adult (I can only realistically say semi since I can't really take care of myself fully, so that means I am not quite there), I can't wait for it to be done with.

Don't get me wrong - I love the music, the movies, the emotion, the lights, the excitement and especially what is stands for. But, when did it become so expensive?!?!?!?

If you read my last post, you basically know that I am flat broke. It's taken everything in my power to stay afloat the last few months and while I am about to really make some money with the new job, I am just not there yet. Lately when it comes to finances it's a sink or swim situation and I am lucky if I have enough energy to do the doggy paddle.

So, this year I am going to have to rely on the creative side of my brain (which is; if you know me; limited at best - I am the type that can barely color in the lines). I am thinking framed pictures, homemade candy, handmade wreaths or candle centerpieces. Yeah, it's a little lame, but if anything, it's what you get folks. And besides, it's not like Christmas is a time to give to receive. Or a time to give crazy expensive gifts when there are people who can't afford to eat. I am just so sick of it. GO AWAY CHRISTMAS! You are too big a financial burden!

Even though I am broke, I am still buying a small gift to donate to
Toys for Tots. It might only be something that costs $10, but it will be something. I know that I complain about not being able to afford things, but in the grand scheme of things I am in a not so bad situation. I mean, my credit score might suffer, but I get by. This is the time of year to remember the people who are not as fortunate as we are. I mean, I have a brand new car, a home, heat, food. I get to splurge on restaurants, take out, new makeup, name brand sneakers. There are people out there far worse than I am. Look at all of the Katrina victims, or even the children of the Men and Women in our Armed Forces. At least, above all else I have my family and friends.

OK, so I just kind of blogged my way out of the Bah Humbug spirit and back into the reality of the season - even though I can't afford, I suppose Christmas can stay - if we keep it in check. :)


P.S. I am still on Super Holiday Non-Existent Budget. Let the inexpensive homemade gift giving begin!

P.P.S. Don't buy me anything!

2 Comments:

  • At 6:48 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Make shitloads of special cookies, put several kinds on different trays and you have a fabulous Christmas gift. i have some easy no bake recipes if you like. You should see what I did with my Christmas cards. One dollar a box, I bought some glitter and tah-dah, they look phenomanal. I'm broke too baby, and with a wedding coming up, I have to admit, my Christmas spirit is about as big as my thumb. Its not like the bill collectors let you take the month off. Happy Kwanzaa and Happy Hanukkah.

     
  • At 10:18 AM, Blogger BenSpark said…

    give the gift of Poor Man Truffles or Turtles like Mo calls them. The recipe is on my blog. They are wicked inexpensive and looks like you really worked hard on them.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home